- Ed is on the Board of Directors of the regional planning organization, Mid-America Regional Council (MARC), where he is on the Executive Committee and recently completed a term as Treasurer.
- Other MARC leadership positions include serving as Co-Chairman of the Air Quality Forum (present) and as Co-Chairman of the Water Resources Task Force (past).
Focus on the environment
- Throughout his tenure as Commissioner, Ed has focused his attention upon environmental issues and is a frequent speaker on those topics.
- Ed works closely with Johnson County’s Sustainability Coordinating Committee. As a result of his efforts, the county is committed to sustainable goals of zero waste output and a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions of 80 percent.
- A founder of the Northeast Johnson County Sustainability Forum, Ed also has served as Chairman of the Citizens Environmental Advisory Committee.
- Ed is member of the Energy, Environment and Land Use Steering Committee of the National Association of Counties, serving by appointment of the Kansas Association of Counties.
- Ed was the Mayor of Fairway from 1993 to 2002, and before that was a member of the City Council. He led city government to invest in infrastructure and amenities, resulting in a doubling of property values in Fairway.
- While mayor, Ed served two years as Chairman of the Johnson-Wyandotte Counties Council of Mayors.
Support for our schools
- Ed has been a consistent supporter of bond issues and an advocate of improved local and state funding for public education.
- Ed is a long-time member of the Shawnee Mission School District’s Committee for Excellence.
- Ed is a member of the Board of Directors of the Johnson County Education Research Triangle (JCERT) that oversees use of the special sales tax passed by Johnson County voters to support higher education research activities.
- Ed has served on the Shawnee Mission Education Foundation Board of Directors.
A community man
- Ed was on the influential Citizens Visioning Committee, which set long-range goals for Johnson County government.
- He is a supporter of the arts, and served on the Metropolitan Arts Council of Kansas City’s Board of Directors.
- As a county commissioner, Ed has served as the liaison to the Johnson County Library Board, the county Airport Commission, the Parks and Recreation Board, the Mental Health Board, and the Developmental Supports Board.
- Ed served as a member of the Board of Directors of Kansas City Consensus.
- An Eagle Scout, Ed has been an adult supervisor for Boy Scout Troop 192 at Old Mission United Methodist Church.
Ed and his wife Laura are vested in the community, living in Johnson County throughout their 31-year marriage and raising two children who are graduates of the Shawnee Mission schools.
Ed enjoys golf, reading, cooking, and traveling, with a preference for mountain locations.